Contemplation about happiness



A quick update on some little things and on one of my realisations

At the moment I am in Budapest. Coming here from behind God's back is very tiring, and it always takes a whole day. Due to it, I 'lost' my Friday, then my degree ceremony was held next day, then I went to celebrate my piece of paper at night. (I'll tell more about it later). Oh, and I have not had Internet for 3 days, and honestly, I felt bad. :D After having Internet connection, I literally calmed down. I can easily imagine what drog addicts may feel when they get their right amount of quantity: something very similar.

But the main point of this post is that I was thinking about a special subject in the last few days. I have watched the film 'The Life Of Zen Master Dogen', because it was offered by Youtube in the first place when I wrote the words 'film' and 'zen' into the search box (you can see a tiny introduction about it at the bottom). After watching it, I thought 'wow, this guy had a real boring life!' I've expected a little complication or something... but no, all he did was sitting in meditation almost all day and telling clever things to people. Never a little roller coaster, no women, no delicious foods, no having fun... Just a simple life. But he was fine. He was enlightened. He was in balance. We could never see him very happy, nor delving into deep sorrow. Is it how it has to be?

Some days ago, I mentioned that the purpose of my life is to be happy or something like this, but I see it a bit differently now. Not because of the film exactly, nevertheless it contributed to a little point of view shift of mine. Firstly, I would like to define what I consider happiness: for me, it's when you feel euphoric, over the moon and never want a day or a moment coming to it's end. Like when you can't wait to go to the Caribbean Islands, and when you're there finally, you are full of with joy and never want to come home. This is happiness in my vocabulary, but I've become aware of the fact that hm, my theory does not bring me forward, perhaps? What I mean is that my conception about happiness is not necessarily wrong, but if you would like to be detached from people and things around you when it's needed and would like to find some kind of balance in life, this attitude does not help in it. Happiness exists whatever it is, it is real, but its existence is quite temporary according to the mentioned set of values - simply does not last forever.

Some Buddhists say that 'when happiness fades it leads to suffering'. I'm sure that's why I don't like jewels, and never want to possess an expensive car either. If I lost the jewel or crashed or damaged the car, the happiness flood would turn into bad feelings=suffering (harsh word, but that's it). Fortunately, I am free from this kind of attachment but, for example, I often seek for other kind of pleasures which does not last for a long time. Until I don't want to or can't stop it, I must accept that temporary euphoria comes with the exact opposite sometimes. But I think, I am happy in general even if this post may embodied the opposite. Of course, I have my own roller coasters (who doesn't?), but I accept them as an unavoidable part of life. My aim by this short article was to express what I've extracted from the film, and to provoke some thoughts in your mind too. I also wish to return to this post to consider the idea further in a few months or later. And I wish to learn some things (or more) from Mr. Dogen in the future too. :)

The film: Dogen monk found the Buddhism, which had arrived to Japan, lacking so he travelled to China to see if he can study something more. He've had several experiences during his journey, but the most significant sentence which gave him an awakening experience was 'cast off body and mind'. The monks' one of the most important daily activities included sitting in meditation for hours, so they could 'cast off' their mind from their body with the help of this practice and could find inner peace. After Dogen's enlightened experince he went back to Japan, established the true Zen Buddhism, and helped a lot of people until the day of his death.


Thank your for reading my discursive thoughts. :) Join me on Facebook, if you wish.

Byebye xx

0 megjegyzés:

Post a Comment